Craving some sushi or tikka masala, but don’t feel like leaving the house?
Your Chase credit card might have the perfect solution.
When you hold certain Chase cards, you’ll get free delivery, reduced fees — and, if you’re a Chase Sapphire Reserve® cardmember, $120 in DoorDash credits.
As this perk’s only around for a limited time, here’s how to take advantage of Chase’s DoorDash benefits ASAP.
How Do the Chase Credit Card DoorDash Benefits Work?
If you have any of the following cards, then you’re eligible for a limited-time free DashPass membership:
DashPass, a DoorDash subscription service that normally costs $9.99 per month, grants you $0 delivery fees and reduced service fees on orders of at least $12. (These benefits also apply to orders made with Caviar, a subsidiary of DoorDash.)
In total, DoorDash claims membership will save you an average of $4 or $5 per order.
There is one big caveat, however: Your chosen restaurants must participate in DashPass. To find them, you can look for the blue symbol that marks eligible restaurants or click the “DashPass” filter at the top of the app.
While that can be limiting, the good news is signing up for DashPass is easy — and free, if you have one of the Chase cards above.
All you have to do is add your eligible Chase card as your default payment method within your DoorDash account. You should then see a pop-up alerting you of your DashPass membership.
If the offer doesn’t appear automatically, DoorDash says you should try the following steps: Sign in and out, update the app, double-check your card details, unsubscribe from your existing DashPass membership (if you have one), and call the number on the back of your card.
Once your DashPass membership is active, your benefits will automatically apply whenever you order from a participating restaurant.
5 Things to Know About the Chase DoorDash Benefit
While Chase’s DoorDash benefit is fairly straightforward, there are a handful of details you should be aware of:
- To participate in the limited-time DashPass partnership, you must activate your subscription by December 31, 2021.
- To qualify for DashPass benefits (read: free delivery!), you must pay for your order with your eligible Chase credit card.
- If you upgrade, downgrade, or cancel your card, your benefits may change: They’re based on whichever card is active and listed as the default payment method in the DoorDash app.
- If you’ve never used DoorDash before, ask a friend for a referral code to get up to $15 off your first order. (They’ll probably get a credit, too!) Don’t know anyone who uses DoorDash? Sign up for TopCashBack and you’ll get a discount.
- If you have two eligible Chase cards, the program’s terms imply that switching to a new default payment method could extend your membership. If your current default payment method is the Chase Freedom Flex, for instance, you might be able to switch it to the Chase Freedom Unlimited when your time’s up — and eek out another three months for free.
As you may know, restaurants make very little money from delivery apps. So, while you should certainly take advantage of the benefits that come with your chosen card, consider ordering directly from your local establishments, too. They need your support more than ever — and many even offer free delivery!
Which Chase Cards Come With DoorDash?
Ready to dive into the Chase DoorDash cards and their perks? Here’s a quick look at the cards you can currently apply for, followed by more details.
- Chase Sapphire cardmembers get a free DashPass membership for at least one year. If you register in 2020, you’ll receive benefits through January 31, 2022; if you register in 2021, you’ll receive benefits for 12 months from the date of activation.
- While your authorized users will get a complimentary DashPass membership, too, the clock starts ticking as soon as the first person signs up.
- Chase Sapphire Reserve cardholders also get a $60 statement credit for DoorDash purchases in both 2020 and 2021, for a total of $120. (Caviar orders aren’t eligible.) There’s no per-month limit, so you could use all $60 of DoorDash credits in a single order, and they will automatically get deducted from your statement. As the $120 is per account, your authorized users have access to it, but won’t be eligible for their own credit.
- Chase Freedom cardholders get a free DashPass membership for three months following activation. After that, DoorDash will automatically enroll you in DashPass for the next nine months at a 50% discount. After those first 12 months, it’ll automatically enroll you in the full-price membership. If you want to avoid paying for DashPass, set a calendar reminder so you can cancel your membership a day before the three-month mark arrives.
- With the Freedom cards, the DashPass benefit is only available to one Chase cardholder per account. So if you have an authorized user, only one of you will be able to activate the discounted DashPass subscription. If one of you cancels, the other will be able to sign up — but the expiration date will be based on the first activation date.
What Are Some Other Food Delivery Credit Cards?
Not feeling Chase cards? Or shut out by Chase’s 5/24 rule, which typically denies applicants if they’ve opened five new personal cards — from any credit card issuer — in the past 24 months?
While many of the best credit cards for restaurants are good choices, since most code delivery apps as “dining,” here are several cards that offer rewards specifically for food delivery services.
- American Express® Gold Card (Review): This credit card offers $10 per month in statement credits at Grubhub, Seamless, or Boxed, and 4X points/dollar on dining. (Annual fee: $250 (Rates & Fees))
- Citi Prestige® Card (Review): This card comes with 5% cash back at Boxed, which includes groceries, and 5X ThankYou points/dollar on dining. (Annual fee: $495, which is partially offset by several travel credits)
- Uber Credit Card (Review): This card earns 5% back in Uber Cash at UberEats plus 3% back at restaurants. (Annual fee: $0)
As far as limited-time promotions, you’ll also find these:
Phew, are you as hungry as I am? Take advantage of Chase’s DoorDash benefits and order your favorite meal today. And consider supporting your local restaurants by ordering directly, too!
For rates and fees of the American Express® Gold Card, please click here.