2020.11 Update: The $350 offer is back: $150 + 20% back on Amazon up to $200 back. As long as you spend $1,000 on Amazon, you can get the full $200. I believe almost everybody can achieve that, so we can think this as a $350 offer in total.
2020.10 Update: The previous offer is expired. There’s only $200 offer now.
2020.7 Update: Now there’s a new welcome bonus: $150 offer + 20% back on Amazon up to $200 back. As long as you spend $1,000 on Amazon, you can get the full $200. I believe almost everybody can achieve that, so we can think this as a $350 offer in total. This offer ends on 2020.10.07. Here’s the screenshot.
- $150+$200 offer: earn $150 statement credit after spending $1,000 in first 6 months. Plus, earn 20% cash back on Amazon in the first 6 months, up to $200 back.
- Earn 3% cash back at US supermarkets; 2% cash back at US gas station and select US department stores; 1% cash back on other purchases.
- Easy to get approved, you can try to apply for this credit card when you only have a credit history for 3 months (make sure you can see your credit report before applying).
- No annual fee.
- With this credit card, you can get access to Amex Offers, which often offers very good discounts at some stores. In the past we have seen offers like: Spend $15 or more and get $5 back at Walmart; Spend $75 or more and get $25 back on Amazon.com.
- Refer a friend: You can earn $75 for every approved account you refer, up to $550 per calendar year.
- Only oyur first $6,000 purchases per Calendar Year at US supermarkets can earn 3% cash back, after that you can only earn 1%.
- According to the definition by American Express, Target, Walmart, and Costco don’t count as supermarkets, and thus you will only get 1x when shopping there.
- This credit card is on American Express’s Network, not Visa or MasterCard, so some small stores may not accept it.
- The 3%/2% bonus categories are limited within the United States. Well, the Foreign Transaction Fee exists anyway, so better not use it outside the US.
Recommended Application Time
- You can only get the welcome bonus once in a lifetime, so be sure to apply when the historical highest offer appears.
- AmEx doesn’t care about the number of hard pulls.
- You can try to apply for it when you have a credit history of 3 months.
- You must wait at least 90 days between the application for BCE and BCP, otherwise the application will be cancelled.
- Only 2 AmEx credit cards can be approved within 90 days, but this rule does not apply to charge cards. Multiple cards approved in the same day will only have one Hard Pull.
- You can keep at most 5 AmEx credit cards, but this rule does not apply to charge cards.
Although this credit card has no annual fee, our most recommended grocery credit card is not this card, but should be one of AmEx Blue Cash Preferred (BCP), AmEx EveryDay Preferred (EDP), see Best Rewards Credit Cards For Grocery.
Related Credit Cards
- Click here to check AmEx application status.
- AmEx reconsideration backdoor number: 877-399-3083. The “real” backdoor number of Amex is well protected. Different from Chase, the representatives from this AmEx reconsideration backdoor number only have the right to help you submit requests.
Historical Offers Chart
Note1: There were offers like $250 + $200 in the past. But the $200 part is actually 10%/20% cash back on some category in the first 6 months.
Note2: The $300 offer was actually: For each of the first 6 calendar months, you can earn one $50 statement credit after you spend $500 in that month. It’s really a hustle.